Thursday, March 12, 2009

Quote of the day

Okay, so it's more than a slight quote, but I haven't seen genius like this printed in our local papers in a while. This is just part of a letter that was printed today.

"Adult stem cells have treated thousands of patients suffering from more than 70 types of ailments, including cancer, leukemia, heart disease and spinal cord injury. No cures have been attributed to embryonic stem cell research.

I believe that human beings are never disposable, whether in the form of zygotes, an embryo, a fetus, a neonate, an infant, a child, an adolescent, a young adult or a 90-year-old. Each of us exists as a remarkable biological continuum that extends from conception until death.

In 1940 Congress passed the Bald Eagle Protection Act which made it illegal to kill an American bald eagle. If you shoot one you face a big penalty. Destroy the egg of a bald eagle and you face the same big penalty. It is strange to me that some think more of protecting our bald eagle than protecting human embryos."
-Jack Pynes

I wish I would've written this, and I hope it inspires us. More people need to stand up and be a voice for the voiceless.

And if you have extra time, here's another great article. Be informed!

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/opinion/9463740-47/story.csp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I viewed the exhibit at Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. I have viewed it several times as the exhibit has been there for a long time. It is absolutely amazing when you look at the babies at 42 day and 57days, how developed they are. Little bitty hands and fingers. I stood amazed. I listed to others around me equally amazed. Then I watched a young woman come up with a young man. Her body language suggested she had issue with what was before her. She looked like a together sort of person, probably college educated. Then I heard her say in a not- too-quiet voice, "it just looks like a blob of snot" and she walked away from the area without ever really examining the exhibit. It was as if she made a choice not to know--not to know that a the tiny fragile deceased baby was indeed one of us.