Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Typing with a wrist brace is not practical...

Every store I shop in here in the good ol' Eugene has at least a few shoppers who have their own reusable bags. Walking through the aisles, you'll see them filling their carts with all of their favorite organic goodies (or perhaps several cases of Orange Slice soda), with their eco-friendly bags neatly folded and waiting. These shoppers with their own bags are everywhere. People of all races and ages, the young, old, really old, young but old looking... all waiting to use their neatly folded, pro-environment bags. My favorite in-store site is the new-to-using-earth-friendly-bags person who fills their bags in their cart, only to be emptied and refilled upon checkout. Perhaps it's a way for them to fulfill their secretive desires to shoplift without acting upon it, as they're tucking unpaid items into their own personal bags.

No matter what though, every time I see a shopper walking into a store with those store-branded bags waiting to be filled, I begin to question why I don't use them. Really, I care about our planet. I recycle faithfully, I would never litter and I even let my lawn die yearly to conserve water (or at least I use that excuse for its annual death). Until this point, I have even recycled the plastic (and paper) 'disposable' bags the stores use. But maybe it is time I take it a step further and actually purchase a reusable bag. Maybe I should care that much.

Mostly, there is only one obstacle keeping me from doing such a thing; which store brand bag do I choose? Is it permissible to carry a Trader Joe's bag into Wal-Mart? What about a Target bag into Albertsons? I want to avoid a tragic faux pas, but have yet to find an etiquette guide on this particular subject.

I almost gave up on the idea of trying to be more green, when I finally found the solution to my dilemma. A green bag, with no store brand that portrays the truth of the depth of my caring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never toss ALL environmentalists (adhering religiously to the sacrament of re-usable bags) under the same solar powered, hybrid bus. BUT you have again very fluidly made your point…being scathing without meanness or increasing your carbon footprint!
The disdain I hold for these smug, self-righteous, one square of toilet paper users is boundless. I could go on, but my breathing quickens causing me to breath more, which means on every outgoing breath I’m expelling more of that planet killing CO2.

Anonymous said...

Um, where do we buy them? Does the company that produce them treat their workers fairly and what kind of carbon footprint does the company leave? I can't possibly buy anything with out research first. No impulse shopping for me. Nope not me.
Actually my biggest problem with the bags has to do with color and detail. I think that some pictures of cars would be good. You know, like the one of those smug hybrids. I could command so much adulation as I stride around to pick up my green and organic products. Nose up, long stride, I am better than all of you.
(Gee Jakz-you do bring out the smarmy in all of us--good job!)